A smile is one of the most attractive features a person can have. It can boost your confidence, make you more approachable, and even improve your overall well-being. But what if you’re not happy with your smile?
If you have dental imperfections, such as chipped, cracked, or discoloured teeth, you may be feeling self-conscious about your smile. The good news is that there are a number of dental treatments that can help you achieve a smile makeover, including dental crowns.
Dental crowns are versatile and durable restorations that can be used to address a variety of dental problems. They can be used to protect damaged teeth, improve the appearance of misshapen teeth, and even replace missing teeth.
If you’re interested in learning more about how dental crowns can help you achieve a smile makeover, be sure to read this blog post. We’ll discuss the different types of dental crowns, the overview, the cost of dental crowns, and related topics like dental veneers and dental bridges.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns, which are also known as tooth caps, are artificial dental prostheses that cover teeth that have been damaged or discoloured. These will improve the appearance of your teeth and also provide many other benefits, including:
Restoring Strength: Dental crowns strengthen and protect weak or cracked teeth, preventing further damage.
Aesthetic Enhancement: Crowns can improve the appearance of stained, misshapen, or poorly spaced teeth.
Functionality: Crowns help restore the normal function of a tooth, enabling proper biting and chewing.
Support for Dental Bridges: They are used as abutments for dental bridges, bridging gaps created by missing teeth.
Common Concerns and Pain Points
Before we dive into the details of dental crowns, it’s essential to acknowledge some common concerns and pain points that individuals often face:
- Cost: Dental crowns can be expensive, but there are a variety of materials and options to choose from to fit your budget. Additionally, some dental insurance plans cover dental crowns, so be sure to check with your provider.
- Dental anxiety: If you’re feeling anxious about getting a dental crown, be sure to talk to your dentist. They can offer sedation options and other techniques to help you relax during the procedure.
- Time commitment: Dental crown procedures typically require two appointments. The purpose of the initial appointment is to make an impression and prepare the tooth. The crown placement appointment will come later.
- Choosing the right type: There are several types of dental crowns available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Your dentist can help you choose the best type of crown for your individual needs.
- Longevity and maintenance: Dental crowns can last for many years with proper care and maintenance. Regularly brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist for cleanings are all important.
What are the different types of dental crowns that you can choose from?
Dental crowns are in various materials, each with its own set of advantages and costs. The most common types include:
|Type of Dental Crown||Description||Suitable Teeth||Cost Range (INR)|
|Stainless Steel Crowns||Durable and long-lasting, often made of alloys.||Molars||4,000 – 6,000|
|Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal (PFM) Crowns||Combine metal strength with porcelain aesthetics.||Both front and back teeth||6,000 – 12,000|
|Ceramic Crowns||Natural enamel appearance, metal-free, blends with surrounding teeth.||Front teeth||10,000 – 20,000|
|Zirconia Crowns||Exceptional strength and biocompatibility, with the durability of metal and aesthetics of ceramic.||Front and back teeth||12,000 – 35,000|
It’s important to note that these cost ranges are approximate and can vary based on factors such as the location of the dental clinic and the complexity of the procedure. Additionally, dental veneers are a less invasive cosmetic option, primarily used for improving the appearance of healthy teeth, while dental crowns provide both aesthetic enhancement and structural support for teeth with significant damage or structural issues.
The Smile Makeover Process with Dental Crowns
The process of achieving a smile makeover with dental crowns will include the following steps:
- Initial Consultation: The journey towards a smile makeover begins with an initial consultation with a dentist. During this appointment, the dentist will assess the patient’s oral health, discuss their concerns, and determine whether dental crowns are the appropriate solution.
- Treatment Planning: If the dentist determines that crowns are necessary, they will create a personalised treatment plan. This plan includes selecting the type of crown material (e.g., ceramic, porcelain-fused-to-metal, metal, or zirconia) based on the patient’s needs and according to their preferences.
- Tooth Preparation: To prepare the tooth for the crown, any decay or damaged portions are removed and then reshaped to accommodate the dental crown. This step ensures a snug fit for the dental crown and a natural appearance once placed.
- Impressions: The dentist takes impressions of both the prepared tooth and the surrounding teeth. These impressions act as the basis for crafting a custom-fitted crown that matches the patient’s bite and complements their smile.
- Temporary Crown: While the dental lab creates the permanent crown, a temporary crown is placed on the prepared tooth. This temporary crown protects the tooth and maintains aesthetics and functionality until the permanent crown is ready.
- Crown Placement: Once the permanent crown is ready, it is placed onto the prepared tooth using dental cement. The dentist ensures a precise fit and checks the patient’s bite to confirm it is aligned correctly.
- Final Adjustments: Minor adjustments may be made to the crown’s shape and fit, ensuring that it feels comfortable and functions correctly within the patient’s mouth.
In conclusion, smile makeovers with dental crowns offer a comprehensive solution to a range of dental issues, both cosmetic and functional. By restoring the appearance, strength, and functionality of teeth, dental crowns contribute significantly to achieving a confident and captivating smile. If you are considering a smile makeover, consult with a qualified dentist who can guide you through the process and help you achieve the smile you’ve always desired.